A prayer for Saturday morning

Matterhorn

Lord, it’s Saturday morning, and I’m working on my sermon. You know the one – about the man born blind, one of my favorites, but then I have so many.

What am I thinking? You were there!

I’m not sure why I feel the need to tell you what you already know – what day it is, what I’m working on, or even what I’m thinking.

Are Saturdays much different for you than Mondays? I’m thinking, as I sit here, that there’s a great deal I don’t know about you.

I don’t even know if you listen to prayers like this, but I keep offering them, trusting that you do, trusting that what I do and how I spend my time and what brings me joy are of interest to you.

So here I am, as I mentioned, working on my sermon for tomorrow, something that brings me a great deal of joy. I used to tell my family, when they asked me what I was doing on Saturday morning, that I was “tweaking” my sermon.

But the truth is, I’m doing more than that. I’m polishing it, learning it, weighing the value of each word I plan to say, and praying that my congregation will enjoy the hearing of it as much as I enjoy the preparation of it.

More than anything this is a prayer of thanks – for the opportunity to do this thing that I love to do.

In Jesus’ name.

(Photo: where I now live.)

, , , ,

9 Responses to A prayer for Saturday morning

1. Fred Anderson March 29, 2014 at 9:52 am #

Yep, we are blest.
    I remember, early on, realizing I was actually getting paid to study scripture and proclaim what it said.

Hope the two of you are settling into Zurich.

I have a couple of Swiss/German parishioners who return to Zurich fairly often, and don’t be surprised if you see them one of these days.

Rosa Shulpach, a single woman in her sixties, who still has rental property in Zurich.

And, Udo and Deborah Middlemann. Deborah is Francis Shaffer’s daughter (don’t ask how they got to us, it is a long story). Udo is a lovely philosopher/theologian. Deborah is well intended, but clearly wounded from having had her father, whom she idolizes.

Anyway, greet them and welcome them when you see them.

Blog on…! But tell me, how do you find time to do it. Is life in the church in Switzerland that much different than from in the U.S.? Or is this what you do to rest your brain from studying German!

Blessings to you both.

fra

• Doug March 29, 2014 at 10:08 am #

Will look for your friends, Fred. Send more our way!

As for the time this blogging takes, I think you’ll remember from our time together that I love to write and that it comes (fairly) easily to me.

I’m determined to get you to guest bog for me. Any thoughts about ministry that you’d to share with my readers?

• Richard Davis March 29, 2014 at 11:32 am #

It’s the old small world thing, Doug. Fred Anderson mentioned Udo and Debbie Middelmann. They are old friends of ours. As are all the Schaeffers, since we lived at L’abri in the summer of 1971. We attended Edith’s funeral up in Gyron, CH last spring and reconnected with the family. A poignant reunion. Greet Udo & Debbie for us if they show up at IPC. Richard & Susan Davis
        P.S. We’re loving your blogs!

• Doug March 29, 2014 at 12:38 pm #

Somehow I’m not surprised, Richard. Your connections and networks are impressive. Thanks for the kind words. (Moving to Switzerland has been good for blog traffic 🙂 )

2. Barbara Keith March 29, 2014 at 10:42 am #

Count your blessings with Dr. Douglas Brouwer as your paster. We miss him in Fort Lauderdale. We continue to pray for Doug and his family … Selfishly, we wish you would also send them back to Fort Lauderdale!
    Barb & Tom Keith

• Doug March 29, 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Barbie, you’re the sweetest person I know – outside my family!

• Ben Christ March 29, 2014 at 2:09 pm #

We understand how you miss Doug and Susan but we are going to keep them. Both of them are a blessing for not only IPC but for many people. We will let them go back to the States from time to time but Switzerland is their new home and to be honest, i think they kind of like it here.

• Doug March 29, 2014 at 2:19 pm #

We’ve loved every city where we’ve served … and how’s that for diplomacy? Seriously, Switzerland ranks right up there!

3. Steve with Elise March 29, 2014 at 3:00 pm #

Good evening, Doug,

I trust your sermon is polished and will be received well tomorrow. Elise and I are in Namibia for the third of her workshops in Africa. We have a lull in the activity and will attend a 1000 German-speaking Lutheran service here in Windhoek, Namibia.

This is an interesting country. Elise learned that Afrikaans is very prevalent. She taught the workshop last night in Afrikaans.

We had a few days in South Africa last week to enjoy a mini-vacation around Stellenbosch where the group from FPC, Bob and Heidi were in 2012. We re-visited Boschenhdal Estate where we all had the picnic lunch and photographed the owls in the trees and rummaged through the wine cellar of the farmhouse.

Enjoy your first spring in Switzerland. South Africa and Namibia are in the fall of their year and it is a bit cold and rainy by Fort Lauderdale standards.

Elise sends her regards.