Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

Abstract-Thanks

Sometimes the prayers of those who have lived the faith before us are the prayers we most need to pray. The following is from the Book of Common Prayer.

My favorite line? “We thank you also for those disappointments and failures that lead us to acknowledge our dependence on you alone.” Today I will try to be grateful for my “disappointments and failures” because of the way they have pushed me to acknowledge my utter dependence on the One who loves me.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

Accept, O Lord, our thanks and praise for all that you have
done for us. We thank you for the splendor of the whole
creation, for the beauty of this world, for the wonder of life,
and for the mystery of love.

We thank you for the blessing of family and friends, and for
the loving care which surrounds us on every side.

We thank you for setting us at tasks which demand our best
efforts, and for leading us to accomplishments which satisfy
and delight us.

We thank you also for those disappointments and failures
that lead us to acknowledge our dependence on you alone.

Above all, we thank you for your Son Jesus Christ; for the
truth of his Word and the example of his life; for his steadfast
obedience, by which he overcame temptation; for his dying,
through which he overcame death; and for his rising to life
again, in which we are raised to the life of your kingdom.

Grant us the gift of your Spirit, that we may know him and
make him known; and through him, at all times and in all
places, may give thanks to you in all things. Amen.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

7 Responses to Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

1. Noel Weaver November 28, 2013 at 6:32 am #

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too, Doug. Chilly here this morning, 50 right now, good time to put the heat on.
    Best to you and your family in Zurich, I will miss you.
    Regards,
    Noel Weaver

• Bob Visscher November 28, 2013 at 8:22 am #

Doug, You must have gotten up early this morning. Thank you for your blog. The prayer is right on. Bob

2. Dennis Ulmer November 28, 2013 at 6:48 am #

Doug, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. I am thankful for knowing you. Listening to you deliver a sermon on something that I needed to hear has made me a better person. Closer to God and thankful for all of His Graces.

“We thank you also for those disappointments and failures that lead us to acknowledge our dependence on you alone.”

May we be thankful and make everyday a Thanksgiving to God.

3. Clark Ellis November 28, 2013 at 8:15 am #

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. The disappointments that I have had in my personal life showed me that we must keep our faith and our dependence on God. He know what he is doing even if we dont.

4. Jeff Edwards November 28, 2013 at 9:24 am #

Was it Garth Brooks who said “some of God’s best gifts are His unanswered prayers” ? I’ve had my share, but when I look at the tally (ya, who’s counting)’ I’ve had much more and more meaningful answerd prayers and blessings than not. From our ever enlarging family to yours, Happy Thankksgiving, my friend. I am glad you are still in my answered prayer side of the leger board.

• Doug November 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

Thanks for getting Garth Brooks into the blog, Jeff! Apparently a fine theologian, as well as singer/songwriter.

5. Mandana Sharifi November 28, 2013 at 10:42 am #

Happy Thanks Giving to you too Doug! :0)