Happy anniversary!

Happy Annivesary

“Doug’s blog” debuted one year ago today, so happy anniversary to me.  Thanks for all the cards and letters!

As my loyal readers know, I got my start last March on the church’s website, and then last fall – with the help of Mike at Blog Designers, an exceptional Australian firm – I launched out on my own with my own rather clever domain name.  How exciting.

My web host, WordPress, supplies me with more data about my readers than I can possibly use, but the data is interesting and I do my best to pay attention to it.  The number of “views” continues to grow each day, which is really exciting.  And of course the more often I post, the more “views” I get.  Funny how it works that way.  The number of subscribers continues to grow too, and if you don’t currently subscribe, it’s easy to do.  I don’t use the mailing list, and I don’t sell it.  I’m pretty sure no one wants it.

My biggest day since creation (in terms of traffic) was January 3.  There’s no particular significance to that day, except that it was the day my daughters guest blogged for me, resulting in 223 unique “views” in a single day, a record that’s likely to stand for a while.  (When I post something new, I have been getting around 150-160 “views” on the first day a post appears.)

It’s kind of humbling that my site is at its busiest on the day when I don’t post.  Make of that what you will.

I looked back through my posts (there have been 66 in all), and I’ve  selected the “Top 10,” meaning these are the ones that received the most unique “views.”  In case you missed one or two, have a look:

The Crybaby

Not Compatible with Christianity

Learning from Felix Baumgartner

The Smell of a Place

Applause in Church

My Annual Christmas Letter

Struggles of a Twenty-Something Christian

Stalking for Christ’s Sake

Professional Ethics

The Show Must Go On

Suggestions for the blog are always welcome – well, almost always.  I enjoy your feedback.

Few bloggers make a living at blogging.  Andrew Sullivan, one of the most popular bloggers in the world today and one of my personal favorites, is making an attempt to do just that right now by setting up a pay wall, but the jury is still out and he’s nervous. I don’t plan to make this my full-time job any time soon, mostly because I like being a pastor and feel called to it.  So, I blog for the fun of it – and of course for the conversations that I’m able to start.

Happy anniversary to me!

13 Responses to Happy anniversary!

1. Dave Bayer March 27, 2013 at 12:25 pm #

When I read the “Happy Anniversary” title my initial thought was “of course, Easter Sunday will mark Doug”s 4th Anniversary as Senior Pastor at First Pres.” So — here’s wishing you a very happy double anniversary, with many more interesting blogs and productive years as our Senior Pastor. You are a truly a blessing to your readers AND your congregation.

• Georgia Hamilton March 27, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Happy anniversary, Doug! I’m so glad someone (Cerena Fisher, I think) put me onto your site There hasn’t been a single one I haven’t enjoyed, pondered over, smiled at, or said to myself, “of course–I wish more people thought like that!”

Thank you for sharing and glad that you intend to continue.

Georgia

• Doug March 27, 2013 at 5:43 pm #

Georgia, it’s good to be in touch with you again, even if it’s in this limited way.

• Doug March 27, 2013 at 5:46 pm #

Thanks, Dave!

2. Lizzy March 27, 2013 at 12:39 pm #

Happy blog anniversary, dad!

And I continue to see the influence of David Letterman in your life 🙂

• Doug March 27, 2013 at 5:44 pm #

Lizzy, I hope that David Letterman’s influence in my life is small!

3. Sandy Steffen March 27, 2013 at 3:38 pm #

Amen & Amen Doug!!!! We are so blessed to have you & Susan as part of our First Church family!!! Sandy ( :

4. Gail Bair March 27, 2013 at 4:16 pm #

Are U used to the lovely Easter mornings? So lovely and quiet.

• Doug March 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Haven’t had a quiet Easter morning in more than 30 years, Gail! I’m partial to Easter afternoon.

5. Miss Mandana Sharifi March 28, 2013 at 12:27 am #

Happy Anniversary & may you continue to be blessed with charmed wisdom! :0) Mandana

6. mike March 28, 2013 at 2:54 pm #

Lizzy’s comment above (tongue in cheek?) re. David Letterman prompted me to look up David Letterman’s stated views on faith. I may have assumed somethings about him and his faith that are….wrong. Interesting read found here, for what it’s worth.

• Doug March 28, 2013 at 3:22 pm #

Mike, Lizzy’s comment has some inside-the-family humor. I didn’t know much about David Letterman’s faith (until I saw your link), but I did know that his mom was a member of Second Presbyterian in Indianapolis (where my other daughter worked for a couple of years).

I preferred Letterman over Leno in the days when there were only two late-night choices, but my family thought Letterman was cynical and not always nice to his guests – hence, my comment about not wanting to be too much like him.

And for whatever it’s worth, I still miss Johnny Carson!

• mike March 29, 2013 at 12:45 am #

And I miss….Carnac the Magnificent.

“I hold in my hand the envelopes. As a child of four can plainly see, these envelopes have been hermetically sealed. They’ve been kept in a #2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall’s porch since noon today. No one knows the contents of these envelopes, but you, in your borderline divine and mystical way, will ascertain the answers having never before seen the questions.”

Yup, I miss Carson, too. Belated Happy Anniversary!